As an engineer, developer or other IT professional, are you sick of meetings and managers? And you dream of starting your own business so you can escape your cubicle?
Michael Frew has a unique perspective – after 18 years working as an engineer and architect for top tech companies, he made a big shift to acquire online businesses instead of starting them.
In this interview, he shares why IT professionals may be better suited to buy (instead of start) an online business, and takes us through his 8-step framework to find, finance and acquire successful online companies.
We also talked about:
- Why it can be hard for IT professionals to make a career change due to “golden handcuffs”
- Tips for building relationships with sellers when acquiring a business
- How to finance an online business acquisition
- Managing teams when transitioning from employee to business owner
- Key steps in the online business acquisition framework
Want to hear more? Tune in to the full conversation with Michael Frew. And remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode!
Want regular access to tips, techniques and advice from experts about growing your business? Sign up here.
- Newsletter: newsletter.michaelfrew.com
- Learn: videos.michaelfrew.com
- Website: https://www.michaelfrew.com
- Book on managing a business: Traction: Get A Grip On Your Business (affiliate link)
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelfrew/
Trudy Rankin is the host of the Online Business Launchpad Podcast, Director of West Island Digital and the founder of the Online Business Lift-Off program.
Affiliate Disclaimer: If you click on links on this page and then make a purchase, I may earn a commission (at no cost to you). I am a proud affiliate of these resources because I use them in my own life and business.
Michael Frew, a seasoned professional with two decades of experience, worked as an engineer and software architect for top corporations like Lockheed Martin, IBM, Microsoft, Amazon, Salesforce, and FireEye/Mandiant. He holds a diverse educational background with a B.S. and MBA in Business and Economics from international institutions, along with several postgraduate information security certifications. Transitioning to Acquisition Entrepreneurship, he acquired multiple 6 and 7-figure software/SaaS companies, currently managing an 8-figure portfolio generating a 7-figure annual pre-tax income. His insights in digital business acquisitions and operations have been featured in various media outlets.